I asked the love gals as they were headed out the door for school. “What are you thankful for?” No explanation, no prompting, no letting them know we were going to go on the hunt for beauty and thankfulness. They looked at me blankly. We often say thank you to each other and to God daily in our prayers.
Finally, Amy said…”School?” Hum. Meg said with a grin, “Twins”. We just had twins in our family; my daughter raised our grandchild count too three very early one morning 6 weeks ago.
Not only did the question give them pause; it did me too. Of course there are days when the beauty of what my eyes behold is endless. Some days, I’m just not seeing it! The intentionality of living I so aspire too has failed me here.
Those of us who are older may remember The God Hunt from David and Karen Mains family. Hunting for God in the ordinary, the extraordinary. Training us and our children to see Him in all circumstances. We kept a journal for a while, our now adult kids in their younger days. Remembering His faithfulness grew us; steadied me, steadied us.
My list….love gals are keeping their own…
1. Sunshine and gentle breezes
2. Morning sun through the shutters leaving streaks of light across my pillow
3. Silly looking Boomer with her nose in the air smelling for food
4. Wonderfully talented singers
5. Sweet Pea’s smiling while running to Grandma with arms up
6. and of course twins! our very own twins!
O God, from my youth you have taught me, and I still proclaim your wondrous deeds. Psalm 71:17